Basements and the bugs they can be home to
Due to the increased awareness about the potential health hazards that pests can bring with them, homeowners are diligent about keeping their premises clean.
But very often, the seasonal maintenance overlooks certain areas of the home that are more likely to be chosen by pests as their nesting grounds.
The most common ones are the basement and the attic. If you have an older basement, then the occasional flooding and the funky odor is not the only thing you have to be worried about.
If you are harboring cellar pests, then they may cause foundational damage which can result in unwanted expenses down the road.
Before you decide to call a bug removal company in Vancouver, it is important to know what you are dealing with.
Here are the common type of pests that are known to invade basements.
- Silverfish: Slimy, slithering insects that love to feed on starchy things like old books. They are harmless but their presence can be revolting.
- Centipedes: With their many long legs and segmented bodies, centipedes are not something you’d want to see in your home.
- Spiders: Spiders love old and dark places where they are rarely disturbed. The cellar is an ideal nesting ground for them.
- Rodents: Rodents can be potentially dangerous with their constant habit to gnaw through almost anything.
- Termites: These are the worst kind of pests to have anywhere in the house, let alone the basement. They can quickly eat through the foundation and cause severe structural damage.
DIY methods for prevention
It may seem like an impossible task, but with a few simple hacks, you can prevent any of these unwanted pests from entering your home.
- Check for any cracks, crevices or other openings which may be used by these pests to enter your house. Seal them with caulk to restrict access to these areas.
- Eliminate moisture buildup in the basement. Use a dehumidifier to keep the area dry.
- Lock away any sources of paper in plastic storage with a zip lock.
- If there is any source of food or garbage near the basement area, then clear it off completely.
When to call the experts
Here are a few signs that you may need to call the pest control removal Vancouver company immediately to secure your basement from a pest invasion.
- You have spotted rat droppings and urine in and around the basement and your DIY traps have not been effective. Rats can harbor many disease causing germs. Some of them are potentially fatal to humans.
- You can hear a clicking sound from the basement. This may be signs of a termite infestation.
- You can see flying ants in the house. Flying ants are swarmers. This may indicate that there may be a carpenter ant infestation and a basement is the ideal place to start looking for them.
- You can see silverfish in the damp areas of the basement.
Early detection is the key to a fast and permanent removal of a pest infestation. So call the rodent control Vancouver company today.